Friday, September 15, 2006

Lookin Forward to His Book


My nomination for Man of the Year and in the category of I wish I knew the whole story behind his tenure...

Letters released from Powell, Rice
Associated Press
LA Daily News
Here are texts, released Thursday, of letters written by former Secretary of State Colin Powell and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on detainee legislation.

Powell's letter:

Dear Senator McCain:

I just returned to town and learned about the debate taking place in Congress to redefine Common Article 3 of the Geneva Conventions. I do not support such a step and believe it would be inconsistent with the McCain amendment on torture, which I supported last year.

I have read the powerful and eloquent letter sent to you by one (of) my distinguished predecessors as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Jack Vessey. I fully endorse in tone and tint his powerful argument. The world is beginning to doubt the moral basis of our fight against terrorism. [Actually, the world has doubted for a while -- since the beginning even -- it's a few idiots and maybe a sprinkling of well-intention slow-pokes who are slow to catch up.] To redefine Common Article 3 would add to those doubts. Furthermore, it would put our own troops at risk.

I am as familiar with "The Armed Forces Officer" as is Jack Vessey. It was written after all the horrors of World War II, and General George C. Marshall, then secretary of defense, used it to tell the world and to remind our soldiers of our moral obligations with respect to those in our custody.

Sincerely,

Colin L. Powell

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home